- Produce safe food
- Protect and promote animal well-being
- Ensure practices to protect public health
- Safeguard natural resources
- Provide a safe work environment
- Contribute to a better quality of life in our communities
Pork Quality Assurance Plus
Originally introduced in 1989, Pork Quality Assurance®, has become the industry’s leading education and certification program focused on food safety and animal care. The program has been enhanced numerous times since its introduction and is now known as PQA Plus. Enhancements to PQA Plus incorporate new scientific knowledge, the latest research and new components, including an on-farm site assessment of animal care practices.
10 Good Production Practices
- Establish and implement an efficient and effective herd health management plan.
- Use a veterinarian/client/patient relationship (VCPR) as the basis for medication decision-making.
- Use antibiotics responsibly.
- Identify and track all treated animals.
- Maintain medication and treatment record.
- Properly store, label, and account for all drug products and medicated feeds.
- Educate all animal caretakers on proper administration techniques, needle-use procedures, observance of withdrawal times, and methods to avoid marketing adulterated products for human food.
- Follow appropriate on-farm feed processing and commercial feed processor procedures.
- Develop, implement, and document an animal caretaker training program.
- Provide proper care to improve swine well-being.
For more information, click here